Proceedings of World Autism Awareness Day-2016
The World Autism Awareness Day-2016 was observed in Odisha through the following activities.
- Paint the city Blue: 25 spots were selected in twin cities of Cuttack and Bhubaneswar where 50’ to 100’ size canvas was fixed on the roadside. General public were encouraged by volunteers to put a stroke of Blue paint in support of Autism.
- Light the city Blue: Several buildings like that of SBI head office, LIC, Red Cross Headquarter office etc. have had decorated their buildings in Blue light for the evening.
- Dress up in Blue: People were urged to dress up in blue for the day. Volunteers wore blue caps with caption in support of Autism.
- Blue color gas balloons were released at different places to highlight the event. Mr.Nitin Jawale, Director Panchayatraj, lead the activity
- Leaflets were distributed by volunteers and professionals were present at all these 25 places to answer the queries from public.
- Some discussions on the Autism were held as formal seminars at several places in Odisha and some informal brain storming sessions were also held at other places to chart out the future course of action in collaboration with SNAC Odisha.
- 30 lakh SMS were released to telephone subscribers in Odisha.
Participants in the Event:
- Institute of Health Sciences, the State Nodal Agency Centre with its 150 students and 85 staff members spread out to all the event venues. 3 Tata buses and 3 MUVs were used for the purpose of moving the staff and students to different venues.
- Students from the following institution volunteered to be part of the World Autism Awareness Day.
- Utkal University, Bhubaneswar lead by Dept of Commerce
- Revenshaw University, Cuttack lead by Vice Chancellor
- BJB Autonomous College lead by Dept of Social Work
- Ramadevi Women’s College lead by the Principal
- SV National Institution of Rehabilitation Training & Research
- DAV School (Pokhariput, Chandrasekhar pur, Unit-8, Bhubaneswar & CDA , Cuttack) lead by their respective school Principals
- National Institute of Social Work and Social Sciences
- BPT & BASLP students from Institute of Health Sciences
- Volunteers participated in the World Autism Awareness Day included those form the following organizations
- Scout & guides with direct leadership of Mr.K.P.Misra, State Commissioner of Scouts and Guides
- Youth Red Cross lead by Dr.C.P.Panda, Hon.Secretary of Red Cross
- Voluntary organization that took part are:-
- Rotary Clubs: Eleven clubs and three Rotary District Governors i.e. R.N.Nanda, S.P.Dash and A.B.Mohapatra visited the venues with their friends & family members.
- Lion Club: Five Lion club & Lion club Governor Lala Jagdish Prasad Roy took part in the World Autism Awareness Day.
- Anuvrat Samiti, a community organization of Jain people, took active part in the event in Cuttack.
- The of Odisha through its Directorate for Welfare of persons with Disability released/ Distributed Public Education Literature to public. Mr.B.B.Pattnaik, Director,WPwD, himself participated in the event. Many top bureaucrats including Directors, Commissioners, top Police officers, Corporate heads of BSNL( GM and CGM), SBI( AGM,GM, CGM), LIC(SDM) and Heads of such other Govt organizations like Vocational Rehabilitation Center for Handicapped( Director), National Museum of Natural History (Director) personally took to the streets in support of Autism.
- Several NGOs like Open Learning system, Autism Therapy Centre and Sadbhawana also joined the event.
- Print & Electronic media did cover the event. Several dailies in vernacular Odia like Dharitri, Samaj and Sambad and English like Indian Express published the news of the event as well as write ups about the problem of Autism.